With 2023 just around the corner, many of us are ready to welcome the new year full of inspiration and fresh resolve for setting new goals, changing old habits and achieving transformation. Having that determination is key as some estimates show that less than 8% of people actually stick to their resolutions each year. That’s a rather daunting statistic! So, what can you do to give yourself the best odds of making your personal investment of time, energy and motivation translate into a success story?
1. Start with smaller micro-goals that are super-specific and realistic. Small practical steps and attainable milestones create a series of successes that eventually win the marathon.
2. Set resolutions that are personally significant to you and not ones that are expected of you or that someone else wants. Feel with your heart and let guide you in setting your resolutions.
3. Regularly document your successes and challenges. Being able to evaluate your progress allows you to shift and recalibrate your time and efforts accordingly.
4. Keep an eye on your budget. Consider your budget and current financial obligations when setting resolutions and pursue those that are within your means.
5. Don’t go it alone – get a buddy! Having a buddy along on your journey with similar goals or a trusted and reliable cheerleader to lend support makes a huge difference in whether you achieve your resolutions.
6. Schedule time for your resolutions. With hectic schedules, ongoing obligations and competing interests, your resolutions need to be priority too and require their own dedicated time slot on your calendar.
7. Form a supportive “accountability network”. Share your resolutions with a supportive circle and encourage them to ask you for periodic progress reports. Keep it real by being honest with yourself and others.
8. Give yourself meaningful milestone rewards. If you’ve stuck to your resolution, no matter how big or small, make sure to treat yourself with a little tangible bonus as an important reminder that your plan is working and improvement is happening.
9. Relax, smile and meditate. An open heart and a calmer more peaceful mind bring greater physical health, emotional well-being, mental clarity and spiritual connection. There are many effective forms of mediation, and it is a powerful tool for enhancing heart-mind alignment which improves focus. Make some time every day to reflect and meditate on your resolution. Learn more about heart based meditation.
10. Practice gratitude by thanking yourself for embarking on a path of transformation. This isn’t a race to become perfect, but instead, it’s about celebrating the journey of becoming an improved version of yourself. However slow, challenging or unpredictable the road may be, always be gentle, patient and forgiving with yourself through all the ups and downs. Just set your sights on finishing without pressure or judgement and enjoy the ride…and for sure, you will be changed!
HBI wishes you a happy, heartful and healthy new year!